These small batch buttermilk blueberry muffins are so quick and easy and make the perfect Sunday brunch treat for your family! This recipe requires only 10 ingredients and makes 6 perfect bakery-style muffins bursting with fresh blueberries. In just 20 minutes, they bake up soft & moist with a high dome top. Sprinkle them with crunchy coarse sugar to give the tops a sweet texture.
- All-Purpose Flour: You'll need a little more than one cup of all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: To ensure these muffins rise high enough and brown evenly, this recipe calls for both baking powder and baking soda.
- Unsalted Butter: You'll need a ½ stick of unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Granulated Sugar: Cream a ½ cup of granulated sugar with the butter to help the muffins rise and bake up nice and golden.
- Egg: You only need 1 egg at room temperature.
- Almond Extract: Add almond or vanilla extract to give these muffins a nice complementary flavor.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk has a higher fat content than whole milk, so it cuts through the sweetness of the muffins well, giving them a more well rounded flavor, as well as adding moisture to the texture.
- Fresh Blueberries: Add 70g of fresh blueberries to the batter and top the unbaked muffins with a few more, if desired.
- Coarse Sugar: Sprinkle the tops of the unbaked muffins with raw, turbinado, or demerara sugar.
No one likes a flat muffin top. To get that high dome muffin top, bake the muffins at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes, then lower heat to 375 degrees F for an additional 15 minutes. That 5 minutes blast of high heat will force the muffins to bake upward more rapidly, creating a domed top. Then, the temperature is lowered for the remaining 15 minutes to bake the muffins all the way through.
Sprinkle the unbaked muffins with coarse sugar to achieve a sweet, crunchy muffin top. Use raw, turbinado, or demerara sugar.
Yes! If you would like 12 muffins instead of 6, you can easily double the recipe. Simply multiply each ingredient by 2. The bake time will be the same.
Other breakfast recipes you'll love
- Cinnamon Sugar Buttermilk Brioche Donuts
- Overnight Buttermilk Cinnamon Star Bread
- Banana Tahini Chocolate Chip Muffins
A few extra baking tips
- I LOVE the flavors of almond and blueberries, so I added almond extract. But you can swap it out for vanilla extract if you prefer.
- If you're in a pinch, you can swap out the buttermilk with whole milk. They won't be quite as good, but they will still be delicious!
- If you'd like, you can easily double this recipe to make 12 muffins.
Happy baking! xPrint
These small batch buttermilk blueberry muffins are so quick and easy! This recipe requires only 10 ingredients and makes 6 perfect bakery-style muffins.
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 56g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp almond extract or vanilla extract
- 60g buttermilk
- 70g blueberries
- raw sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a muffin pan with parchment liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the bowl down, then add the egg and mix until fully combined.
- Pour in the almond extract and buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until mostly combined, then add the blueberries and gently mix until evenly distributed.
- Divide the batter up between 6 muffin cups, filling all the way up to the top. Sprinkle each muffin with raw sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375 degrees F and bake for another 15 minutes. Do not open the door when you turn down the temperature.
- Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 19.1 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 52.2 mg
Keywords: small batch muffins, blueberry muffins, buttermilk blueberry muffins, dome top muffins