The recipe for these soft & gooey chocolate chip molasses cookies is exactly what you need to get into holidays.
Nothing says fall quite like deep molasses flavors married with warm spices! And when you bake them in cookie form and throw in some chocolate, they're pure heaven. The best part is there's zero chill time and they're so fun to bake with others! Whip these up during a cozy fall afternoon, or double the recipe and give them away to friends and family!
- All-Purpose Flour: Use high-quality all-purpose flour - this greatly affects the outcome of the recipe!
- Leaveners: Baking soda helps the cookies rise and the cornstarch makes them ultra soft and little chewy.
- Spices: I used a combination of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Unsalted Butter: The butter in this recipe is melted, which gives these cookies just the right amount of chewiness.
- Sugars: You'll need both brown sugar and granulated sugar. I opted for dark brown sugar for a deeper molasses flavor, but light brown sugar will work just fine!
- Molasses: Be sure to use unsulphured molasses!
- Egg: You only need one egg for this recipe. Be sure to bring to room temp in a bowl of warm water.
- Chocolate: Use you favorite type of chocolate! I opted for a mix of bittersweet chocolate chips and wafers.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and individual quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
Here are step by step photos and instructions on how to make this chocolate chip molasses cookie recipe! For the full ingredient list and method, see the recipe card at the end of this post.
STEP 1: Whisk dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and spices. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl, heat the butter in the microwave in 20 second increments until fully melted. Whisk in the sugars, then the molasses until fully combined.
STEP 2: Add the egg. Next, whisk in the egg and vanilla until fully combined.
STEP 3: Mix wet and dry ingredients. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
STEP 4: Fold. Fold in 150g of the chocolate.
STEP 5: Scoop. Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, place the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
STEP 6: Roll and top. Roll each cookie dough ball in granulated sugar, then top each with chopped chocolate.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes.
STEP 8: Cool and enjoy. Allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Yes, the cookie dough can be frozen and baked right away. They will likely need a few extra minutes in the oven.
Since this recipe calls for just one egg, it cannot be halved. It can, however, easily be doubled!
These molasses cookies stay soft for about 3 days stored at in an airtight container at room temperature. Both the cookie dough and the baked cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Baking in Grams
All of the recipes on this blog are carefully developed with gram measurements so you can easily recreate them in your own kitchen with success. Volume measurements are extremely inaccurate and leave room for significant errors. Not all measuring cups are made equally, so your one cup of flour will be different from my one cup of flour. By providing precise measurements in grams (aside from minor ingredients, which are given in tsp/tbsp), you can make these recipes accurately and with less cleanup! All you need is this kitchen scale.
If this still isn't enough to convince you, I have provided volume measurements in the recipe card. If you are interested in understanding the conversions, this is the best conversion chart.
But trust me, once you try baking in grams you'll never turn back!
Happy baking! x
Other cookie recipes you'll love
If you tried this recipe, I'd love to know how it turned out for you! Leave a star rating & review below and post a picture (or video!) on Instagram and tag me so I can see your bakes! Not ready to make this recipe yet? Click the heart button on the right of your screen to save it for later 🙂
Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 170 g unsalted butter, melted
- 150 g dark brown sugar
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 85 g unsulphured molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 170 g chocolate, reserve 20g for topping
- Granulated sugar for rolling, optional
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, heat the butter in the microwave in 20 second increments until fully melted.
- Whisk in the sugars, then the molasses until fully combined.
- Next, whisk in the egg and vanilla until fully combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Fold in 150g of the chocolate.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, place the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Roll each cookie dough ball in granulated sugar, then top each with chopped chocolate.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes.
- Allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet.