This strawberry galette with an oat crumble topping is as easy as pie! Well, an open, rustic pie, that is. From the dough, to the filling, to the topping, this galette is so simple, but SO good. The buttery pastry pie dough pairs beautifully with the fresh, juicy strawberries. And don't forget the oat crumble topping! It adds an extra element of texture that ties it all together, making it a deceptively easy, show-stopping dessert. Take it to the next level by topping with vanilla ice cream!
Right now, I think we all need something special and fun to get us through these circumstances, and it seems that so many have turned to baking to relieve stress or to spend time with family. I know that baking has certainly been a form of therapy for me and has provided my family with a sense of normalcy. I hope that this recipe can be a special treat for you and your family or serve as a form of distraction at the very least!
Here in North Texas, the weather has been fluctuating from 50 to 90 degrees, and I am so over it. Since I was in the New Hampshire cold all winter long, I am READY for some warmer weather. Those few days of warm spring weather have had me daydreaming about summer desserts. So I'm ignoring spring for the time being, and jumping right into summer. And what says summer better than an easy, rustic galette??
This strawberry galette is one of those desserts that looks impressive, but in reality is extremely simple. And the best part is, you can make it into whatever shape or size you want. It doesn't matter how it turns out because it's ~rustic~.
To make this strawberry galette you'll need:
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- rolled oats
- brown sugar
- turbinado sugar
- egg wash
A few tips to make this strawberry galette:
- Get creative with your dough! Add some warm spices, such as cinnamon or cardamom, for a special touch.
- Give your dough a couple letter folds as you roll it out to make it super smooth and easier to work with.
- Do not forget to dock the dough before arranging your strawberries!
- If you would like a smaller galette, use half of the pie dough and freeze the other half for a later use. For the strawberry filling and oat topping ingredients, you will need to cut them in half, as well.
Happy Baking! xPrint
Strawberry Galette with an Oat Crumble Topping
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
From the dough, to the filling, to the topping, this galette is so simple, but SO good. The buttery pastry pie dough pairs beautifully with the fresh, juicy strawberries. The oat crumble topping adds an extra element of texture that ties it all together, making it a deceptively easy, show-stopping dessert.
For the Pie Dough
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (cold)
- ½ cup ice water
For the Strawberry Filling
- 1 lb strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
For the Oat Crumble
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (cold)
For the Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
For the Pie Dough
- Start by combining the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Then, cut the cold butter into cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until the butter is pea-size.
- Add a few tablespoons of ice water and mix together with your hands. Continue adding water a tablespoon at a time until the mixture becomes a dough that holds togther but is not overly wet.
- Form the dough into a flat disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rest in the fridge for one hour.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a long rectangle. Fold it into thirds, like a letter, and turn it toward you as if you were to open it like a book. Roll it out one more time and fold into thirds. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and allow to rest in the fridge for another hour or overnight. If you would like to make a smaller galette, you can divide the dough and freeze one half at this point.
For the Filling
- Cut the strawberries in half and combine with sugar and cornstarch.
For the Oat Crumble
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl with your hands to ensure that the butter is evenly distributed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- Roll the pie dough out into a long rectangle or circle to ⅛'' in thickness. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, dock the dough all over to ensure even baking.
- Arrange strawberries on the dough, leaving an inch or so around the edges. Fold the edges over on all sides. Add the crumble topping over the strawberries.
- Brush the edges of the galette with an egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the galette for 40-50 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it turned out!