These chocolate glazed banana bread donuts are like the softest banana bread baked up into the cutest mini donuts and smothered in chocolate. And we all know banana bread + chocolate = happiness. Whip this simple banana bread batter up in one bowl, bake it in a mini donut pan, then dip them in a rich chocolate glaze. So so easy and so so good. Plus they're the perfect excuse to use up those ripe banana laying on your kitchen counter!
- Ripe Bananas: You'll need about 3 ripe bananas, but bananas obviously vary so much in size so it's super important to weigh them out!
- Butter: The butter is melted in this recipe, so if you'd like you can swap it out for neutral oil or melted coconut oil!
- Sugar: You'll need both brown sugar and granulated sugar for optimal moisture and sweetness.
- Egg: Just one egg!
- All-Purpose Flour: Use high-quality unbleached all-purpose flour.
- Leaveners: You'll need both baking powder and baking soda.
- Cinnamon: Add a touch of cinnamon for some warmth.
- Heavy Cream: You'll need a small amount of heavy for the chocolate glaze.
- Chocolate: Use semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate for the glaze.
If you don't have ripe bananas on hand, you can quickly ripen yellow bananas in the oven! Just bake the whole bananas (with skins) on a parchment lined baking sheet at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for about 20 minutes, turning them over half way through, until they are evenly black. Allow to cool before peeling and mashing.
This chocolate glaze is a simple ganache made with heavy cream and chocolate. Typically, ganache is made by bringing the heavy cream to a simmer and then pouring over the chocolate. But since this is such a small amount, I find that it's easier to just heat the heavy cream in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then adding the chocolate and stirring until smooth. Be wary of over-heating the cream or chocolate or the ganache might split. When ganache splits, the fat solids separate and it appears grainy. If this happens, sometimes it can be fixed by adding a splash of cold heavy cream or small amount of butter.
- Donut pan: Use either a mini metal donut pan or regular size donut pan - whichever one be sure to use metal! I find that silicone molds don't work very well.
- Kitchen scale: You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh all of your ingredients (read why below)!
Other donut recipes you'll love
How to accurately measure ingredients for baking
All of the recipes on this blog are carefully developed to create incredibly delicious baked goods that you can easily recreate in your own kitchen with success. The only way this is possible is to standardize the way ingredients are measured - by weight. Volume measurements are extremely inaccurate and leave room for significant errors. Not all measuring cups are made equally, so your one cup of flour will be different from my one cup of flour. By providing precise measurements in grams (aside from minor ingredients, which are given in tsp/tbsp), I can ensure that you can make the recipe accurately and with less cleanup! All you need is this kitchen scale.
If you would like to convert the recipe to volume measurements, this is the best conversion chart. If you chose to do this, I cannot promise a good result as I do not test my recipes with this method.
Trust me, once you try baking in grams you'll never turn back!
Happy baking! xPrint
Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Donuts
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 24 mini donuts 1x
- Category: Donuts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
These chocolate glazed banana bread donuts are like the softest banana bread baked up into the cutest mini donuts and smothered in chocolate.
For the banana bread donuts:
- 340g mashed banana (about 3 ripe bananas)
- 70g butter (melted)
- 80g brown sugar
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 180g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the chocolate glaze:
- 56g heavy cream
- 56g (2oz) chocolate
For the banana bread donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and grease a mini metal donut pan with melted butter, oil, or baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mashed banana, melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until fully combined.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag, then snip the end off and pipe the batter into each donut cavity about half way full. Careful not to over-fill! Alternatively, you can spoon the batter into the cavities, but it will be a little messy.
- Bake the donuts for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer donuts to wire rack to cool completely before dipping in the chocolate glaze.
For the chocolate glaze:
- In a small bowl, heat the heavy cream in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the chocolate and stir until fully combined and smooth.
- Store donuts at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 106.5 mg
- Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.2 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 16.7 mg
Keywords: banana bread donuts, banana baked donuts, chocolate glazed donuts, mini banana bread recipes, mini baked donuts, mini glazed donuts, banana donuts
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it turned out!