These small batch brownies are outrageously decadent! They come together in less than an hour and yield just 8 perfect brownies.
- 42g (1.5 oz) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 85g (6 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 70g (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 egg yolk, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 60g (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 28g (1/3 cup) dutch process cocoa powder
- 14g (1 1/2 tbsp) black cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 70g (2.5 oz) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9"x5" pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate and butter. Place over a small saucepan of simmering water, and stir often until fully melted.
- Remove the chocolate butter mixture from the double boiler and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add the sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed for about 3-4 minutes until the mixture has doubled in size.
- While mixing on low speed, slowly pour in the chocolate butter mixture. Continue mixing until fully combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powders, and salt, and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until mostly combined.
- Lastly, fold in the chopped chocolate until evenly dispersed.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Add more chopped chocolate on top, if desired.
- Bake the brownies for about 28 minutes.
- Allow them to cool completely in the pan before removing.
- Cut into 8 triangles, top with flaky sea salt, and enjoy!
- Use a high-quality dairy free bittersweet chocolate. I recommend Valrhona or Guittard.
- If you do not have black cocoa powder on hand, you can use a total of 42g (1/2 cup) dutch process cocoa powder instead.
- Be sure to beat the sugars and eggs for a full 3-4 minutes! This is what will give the brownies that gorgeous shiny top.
- When cutting the brownies, use a sharp knife and run it under hot water (and wipe clean) before each cut.
Keywords: small batch brownies