These red velvet crinkle cookies are thick & chocolatey with a melt-in-your-mouth texture and beautiful iconic cracks.
- 120g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 60g (scant ¾ cup) dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 82g (⅓ cup + 1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 50g (¼ cup) neutral oil
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tsp red food gel
- 56g (½ cup) powdered sugar, for rolling
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and red food gel.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined. Do not over-mix!
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough and roll in the powdered sugar.
- Place cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes or until puffed up and cracked.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing.
- Chill the cookie dough. To ensure the cookie dough thickens up to the right consistency, don't skip the chill time!
- Use a cookie scoop. Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the cookie dough into equally sized cookies!
Keywords: red velvet crinkle cookies, red velvet cookies, crinkle cookies