My go-to master pastry cream filling recipe is made with just 6 ingredients!
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 16g (2 tbsp) cornstarch
- 227g ( 1 cup) whole milk
- 28g (2 tbsp) unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch together for 2-3 minutes until light in color.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer or about 200 degrees F.
- Once the milk is simmering, slowly pour half into the egg-sugar mixture, whisking at the same time to temper the eggs.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly as it thickens.
- Once the pastry cream is thick and a few big bubbles come to the surface, continue whisking for one more minute, then remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and press plastic wrap up against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill in the fridge (preferably) overnight or until ready to use.
- It can be difficult to tell when milk is simmering sometimes, so it's best to go by temperature (200 degrees F).
- If you're in a rush and cannot chill the pastry cream overnight, you can place the bowl of pastry cream in a large bowl with ice water and whisk constantly until it has come to room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 69
- Sugar: 8.2 g
- Sodium: 9.5 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 9.4 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 57.3 mg
Keywords: pastry cream filling recipe, vanilla bean pastry cream, creme patissiere recipe, creme pat, creme pat recipe, french pastry cream recipe