These funfetti pancakes are light & fluffy with a classic diner style flavor and tons of rainbow sprinkles, making them the perfect birthday breakfast!
- 240g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) malted milk powder
- 20g (1 1/2 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 450g (2 cups) buttermilk (room temp)
- 30g (2 tbsp) unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 2 egg whites
- 46g (1/4 cup) rainbow jimmies sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, malted milk powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until just combined. Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes uncovered at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, add the egg whites to a small bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until soft peaks form.
- After the batter has rested for 15 minutes, gently fold the whipped egg whites in until half way combined.
- Then, add the sprinkles and continue folding until everything is evenly distributed.
- Heat a skillet over low-medium heat and lightly grease with butter.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup (or small cup) to scoop the batter and pour onto the hot skillet.
- Cook until bubbles form all over the top and the bottom is light brown, then flip over and cook for another minute or so until the bottom is light brown. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the skillet in between each pancake.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream, Grade A maple syrup, and more sprinkles!
- Buttermilk is an important ingredient in this recipe for flavor and texture, however you can substitute with whole milk if you need to.
- If you do not want to whip the egg whites, you can simply add a whole egg to the buttermilk mixture and omit the second egg white. After you let the batter rest for 15 minutes, you can make the pancakes.
- You can omit the malted milk powder if you do not have any on hand, though the pancakes will not have as much flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 260.7 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 25.4 mg
Keywords: funfetti pancakes, birthday recipes, diner style pancakes, birthday pancakes, birthday breakfast ideas, buttermilk pancake recipe