These fudgy mocha brownie cookies are rich, decadent, and perfect for when you can't decide between a brownie and a cookie!
- 250g (1 ½ cups) semi-sweet chocolate
- 50g (3 ½ tbsp) unsalted butter
- 15g (2 tbsp) dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tbsp hot water
- 75g (scant ⅔ cup) all-purpose flour
- 10g (1 tbsp + 1 tsp) espresso powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g (½ cup) brown sugar
- 65g (⅓ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- In a heat proof bowl add the chocolate and butter, and place over a double boiler with simmering water.
- Stir the butter and chocolate every minute or so until it is completely melted and smooth. Just like with ganache, you do not want to over mix it or it will split. Once all of the chocolate and butter is melted and combined, remove from heat and stop stirring. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and hot water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and eggs on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until light and pale in color.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate-butter mixture and bloomed cocoa powder mixture until fully combined.
- Then, add in the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Allow cookie dough to rest at room temperature for at least 10 minutes to thicken up.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop batter onto the prepared baking sheets about two inches apart.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes until they are crackly, shiny, and appear set.
- Allow to cool completely on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and enjoy!
- I do not recommend heating the chocolate and butter in the microwave. It requires very gentle heating and stirring, so it is best to melt them over a double boiler with simmering water.
- These cookies bake up fairly round, but you can use a large round cookie cutter to round them out even more once they immediately come out of the oven.
- Store these cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature for a few days or in the freezer for up to three months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 15.4 g
- Sodium: 116.4 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: fudgy mocha brownie cookies, no chill cookie recipe, crinkle brownie cookies, salted brownie cookies