These chocolate peppermint kiss cookies are rich, decadent, and festive - everything you could ever want from a Christmas cookie.
- 160g (1 1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 42g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 113g (1/2 cup; 1 stick) unsalted butter (room temp)
- 160g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 50g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar (for rolling)
- 20 kisses (unwrapped & frozen)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract until fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Cover the bowl and chill the cookie dough in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the 20 kisses and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Scoop the cookie dough with a small (1 tbsp) cookie scoop and roll each in the 50g (1/4 cup) of granulated sugar.
- Place the cookie dough on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes or until puffed and cracked.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and immediately, yet gently press a kiss into each of the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing.
- I always recommend using dutch process cocoa powder, but you could use unsweetened cocoa powder instead.
- Peppermint extract is very potent, be VERY careful with it! I went with 1/4 tsp for a more subtle peppermint flavor, but if you love peppermint you could add an additional 1/4 tsp.
- Once the cookies come out of the oven and a kiss is pressed into each, leave them on the baking sheet to cool COMPLETELY before removing. If they are moved too soon, the kisses will lose their shape.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 20.9 g
- Sodium: 84.9 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 21.4 mg
Keywords: chocolate peppermint kiss cookies, chocolate peppermint blossoms, christmas cookie recipe, chocolate drop cookie